training, politics, and religion … oh my!

So a Trainer, a Senator, and  Priest all walked into a bar …

… and most likely had a great time!

23

I was recently informed over the phone, by someone who called me to find out about my services, that they shouldn’t actually be calling me because they were Republican.

I’m sorry did I miss something?

I did kind of have to smile because it hasn’t been an uncommon type of conversation for me, for people to choose someones service based on their religion or political orientation. What is odd though, is that they need to express this sentiment to a virtual stranger, me. I’m really not sure what type of feedback they are looking for.

So here is Training 101 for the DOG OWNER –

Training and teaching your dog is about giving information to your dog, and learning how to do it to the best of your ability.

You learn how to get a behavior, mark a behavior and reward a behavior.

You learn how to read your dogs body language and become a good observer.

You learn how to be a Team.

And you learn, over time, that it is not about anything other than the relationship between you and your dog.

Pure and simple.

Once you put a political, religious, or social stamp on WHO you want to learn from, it is no longer about you and your dog, it is about you, and you have totally missed the whole entire point.

I wear old clothes when I work with dogs and their people, my hair is in some state of misbehaving, I usually have mismatched socks, and a hint of coffee breath. No dog on this planet has ever cared more or less about this. No dog has asked for my financial statements, my spiritual beliefs, or political leanings. No dog has ever backed away from me because of these things, ever. They don’t care about this superficial silly human stuff.

Dogs want to feel safe and loved, and a belonging. They want to eat and have water. They like a nice place to sleep. And most dogs enjoy good exercise.

So watch and listen to your dog. I am sure we would all be better for it. Here is to a pure and simple life.

with Love, Nancy

13 thoughts on “training, politics, and religion … oh my!

    1. Abby, I think we have trainers in or area that promote their business with political organizations and at their churches. It isn’t uncommon, but the bottom line, it has nothing to do with their dog.

  1. So sorry to hear that you have to deal with such nonsense. You are such a wonderful person and teacher, full of love and compassion for everybody around you, the animals, the people, just everyone. My friend who has 4 dogs and I who have one dog have watched and tremendously enjoyed your DVDs and love you blog. We have learned so much from you, in every respect, not only about dog training but also the things of life. You have so much go give, Nancy, don’t let people with their own little agenda make you feel the way you must have felt after this call. They are actually the ones who need more compassion, who do have a problem. – Please keep doing what you do. Thank you from all my heart!
    Inge & Sophie (Sophie is the dog, she is a wonderful mix with some German shepherd, Rotti, Husky in her)

    1. It’s not uncommon Linda. My assistant had her eyes opened this past winter with stuff like this. 99% of my clients are awesome and come to me because they want to learn more and do more. The other 1% or so are people I never meet or meet for long, as they are fishing for a ‘belief’ of some sort. And as they find out I am ‘nondenominational’ in every sense of the word with any leanings. 😉

  2. Ha ha …. Just love it!!!! But as you say , it really comes down to a owners relationship with the dog. And dogs don’t even care what political view their owners have- just as long as they are not A – holes 🙂 lol

    1. Camilla, correct, dogs don’t care about silly human stuff, and silly human stuff should not be part of a Team. That stuff should be left at home, int eh car, or at the door, especially if you want to do real work. Hope all is well! Going to check out your blog, I didn’t know you had one!

  3. I have to smile all they way from this story, but at the same time it is sad to hear about such attitudes. I agree with the dogs, religion, finances or hairstyle don’t matter.

  4. Great post sweet Nancy, I could easily get on my soapbox but it is your blog and I will just say…I think this country would be a better place if religion and politics was left out of a lot of things. Great lessons can be learned from our dogs and other animals. Hugs!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s