a trip within a trip

Seeing the suitcase on the sofa when I woke up was better than Christmas! Every single time.

It meant that my parents were home from a long extended business trip. My immediate thoughts went something like this. It meant I didn’t have to listen to the ‘old lady’ who was taking care of us anymore. I didn’t have to put up with her idea of being seen and not heard, or going to bed while it was still light out, or the notion that a kids bath only ‘needs’ 1 inch of water in it, and no bubbles. Even at my tender young age, I knew she was fairly lame.

After I celebrated freedom from the sitter with a little happy dance, I waited patiently for my parents to get up. Inside their suitcase there was always a promise of some far off adventure, new languages, smells, and stories. Lots and lots of stories. They always brought something home for us, always. For any kid it’s exciting to dig through your parents suitcase and find a present, but for me it was more. Where did you get this, what was the store like, what language did they speak, how did it smell, did you eat while you were there, did you get to fill your bath all the way up to the top, was there a magical fairy land close by?

Those are some sweet memories. Liberation and Adventure!

Now that I am a parent, I find it even more exciting to see this through my children’s and dogs eyes. I usually arrive after midnight, the house is quiet and peaceful. Story & $eeker are the only two willing to get up and say ‘welcome home’. We snuggle quietly, and then they drift off to their sleeping places.

When the house rouses in the wee hours of the morning, everyone stumbles into my bed. Sleepy eyes, nappy hair, wagging tails, and warm toasty hugs. Everyone slowly jostles for a comfy spot and we settle in. I love my nest.

When we do get up I love watching my kids look over their travel gifts, and listening to them ask a thousand questions while I make coffee. I love when my dogs find their treats deep in my suitcase, four noses pushing through clothes, because there is always something for them in there!

Traveling is part of my work and what I love to do, coming home is always the best part of the trip though. Sharing the adventure with my family makes it so much better!

Just returning home from Fairbanks Alaska, my kids were treated to North Pole Fudge and my dogs to fresh moose meat. We are still talking about the trip, the art, dragons and fairies, the adventures, the cool people I met, the dogs that I was lucky enough to work with, and all that goes along with it.

Cheers, Nancy

17 Comments Add yours

1. Thank goodness Spore was there and will let them fill their own bath! I TOTALLY remember that old lady (you left out the ‘star’ calendar – she said if it wasn’t filled we may have to live somewhere else!). Mostly all the wonderous gifts; pearls, Spanish dancer dolls, musical instruments, books, kimonos, and the stories of fancy dinners and site-seeing! Fabulous!
    Fairbanks must have been great this time of year!

1. Nancy Tanner says:

ah yes, finding a new home because our parents wouldn’t want us any more. Yes she was a real Peach … from hell!

The Spanish dancer dolls were my favorite

2. PigLove says:

ooohhh – Some beautiful pictures there!! XOXO – Bacon

1. Nancy Tanner says:

Thank you, Alaska is beautiful this time of year

3. Teresa Tanner says:

You are wonderful story teller. I saw the pictures of the dogs in Fairbanks and was surprised at all of the smaller breeds, I would have suspected larger breeds, working breed dogs in that environment, but maybe they just like something easier to manage indoors during the winter months. Mom and Dad’s travels were a life experience for all of us on many levels, the weeks of planning, shopping and packing in advance, the family, neighbors and babysitters that would care for us and then their return home, renewed, refreshed and richer because of their experiences. We still talk about their travels and I enjoyed listening to them share their stories with John and me. I have never left John, but he has traveled away from me and that has been a good experience for both of us. I am thrilled that he is comfortable traveling, exploring and experiencing the world outside and away from a parent. Welcome home and thank you for sharing your experiences with us, I enjoyed your journey away from your nest.

4. Marie Tanner says:

Hi Nancy,
    What a cruel parent to have such a horrible sitter. Before we left you were crying and clinging to me. Inever got the message. You couldn’t say goodbye to her fast enough. I know you loved her” minute rice” that she cooked for thirty minutes.-Een at that tender young age you were discerning when it cam to food. Mea culpa! I want to hear more about your trip. love, Mom

1. Nancy Tanner says:

Yes, I believe any nightmare I had came from her telling us we had to find new parents because you wouldn’t want us anymore… 😉 Glad there was Mrs. Reams and Curtis, my memories of them still make me smile.

5. Sherry White says:

Nancy always a joy to read! I wanted to be that kid (2 or 4 legs) digging around for my treat! What a wonderful tradition and memories to pass along! Thank you!

6. Maureen says:

OMG I just realised I am that ‘old lady’ with my grandkids. Only an inch of water in the bath…..but I do let them have bubbles and I don’t care if they don’t eat their vegetables

1. Nancy Tanner says:

HA! Maureen if you are writing this then you are not the ‘old lady’. 😉

7. mtwaggin says:

So glad you had a great trip and made it home safe and sound.

1. Nancy Tanner says:

Sherry, no island, no monkeys, no eating fruit int he snow. I consider it a success! 😉 Thank you!

8. Millie says:

You are so darn funny! Hey, that old gal built fascinating memories for you so you could tell a fascinating story. …..now thank her!!!!

Millie